What is home insurance

Pic of home to help illustrate what is home insurance and what does home insurance cover
What is home insurance

What is Home Insurance

Household Insurance, although not a legal requirement is one of the most important expenses any house owner should incur. So what is home insurance? The range of perils and liabilities a Home Insurance policy covers in proportion to the annual premium paid offers the best ‘value for money insurance policy’  and should never be overlooked.

The ultimate cost of not having Home Insurance in place is that you lose everything! A house fire or flood can destroy a lifetimes worth of saving, security and personal belongings in just a few hours without warning. Household insurance policies often include, as standard, legal liability to protect against damages from an accident at the property resulting in bodily injury to someone or damages to their property that you may become liable for. If you have a mortgage or loan on the property, to protect their financial interest the lender will often require you to have buildings insurance in place for the duration of the loan and with their interest noted on the policy as well.

What does home insurance cover?

A good home insurance policy will cover, permanent structures, land you own and offer the option to add contents and other all risks cover.

Standard benefits should include cover against:

  1.  Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Earthquake
  2.  Aircraft and other flying devices
  3.  Storm, Flood or Weight of snow
  4.  Riots, Strikes and Malicious damage or behaviour
  5.  Subsidence or Heave of the site or Landslip
  6.  Theft or attempted theft
  7.   Collision by vehicles or animals
  8.  Falling trees, Lamp-posts or Telegraph poles
  9.  Escape of water from fixed water tanks, apparatus or pipes

When going through questions with an insurer before taking out a policy you should be open, honest and answer all questions in full. For example, you will be asked whether the property to be covered has ever had subsidence, landslip or heave. If you have experienced any of these you should disclose this to the insurer otherwise the insurance could become invalid.

Within our set of home guides we offer advice on how to reduce your home insurance by highlighting some of the factors that insurers take into account when accessing the risk of a property or tips on how to obtain cheaper house and building insurance by combining buildings and contents or increasing voluntary excess.

If you require a home insurance quote then Highhouse can quote for standard home insurance, listed building, thatched roof or flats (including blocks) and tenement flats in Scotland.

Our  policies offer cover for both buildings and contents against standard perils as well as accidental damage should you require it and you only pay for the level of cover needed. Discounting is also available for no claims, combining both your buildings and contents or if you take out several policies with us. To contact us for a quote call us directly on 01243 606552 or fill in our quote form and we will contact you to discuss your requirements and provide a free quote.